Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Farm-Villian

I find myself, like others, being on Facebook way more than I should be...we all know it's a time waster and if it weren't for the little peek into everyone's lives it wouldn't be so intriguing. I do love staying in touch with friends, but Facebook has gotten annoying from all the invitations/requests I get. I don't want to be in your sorority, take your quiz, match my personality to my eye color, fight some Mafia war, or plant a farm...bringing me to my next point.
FarmVille has become a Villian. I have never touched this game, but I have gotten many request in the past to start to play it...like some kind of pyramid scheme to build up your own farm. I have learned to love the feature to block requests from being repeated. That is where Facebook has done good.
Ok, so I got off on another tangent just then. Dr. Phil recently had a guest on his show that was addicted to this aforementioned game. She woke up to play it and stayed awake late at night to play it. Her kids started to raise themselves and ate microwavable meals as she sat in front of a screen making sure her fields were plowed and crops planted in order to harvest them for money. She cried at the idea of letting her crops die. To me, this is just sad. I'm not trying to make fun of her, but I honestly think it's sad that games like this become such a reality for some people that they forget to really live.
I was at work the other day and a customer as he was putting his money away in his wallet said, "now I have to go harvest my crops on FarmVille." I just laughed, but really was shocked he was so serious about needing to do that. I had an idea and then it was expressed while I was listening to a morning radio talk show where this same subject was brought up. The girl on there was talking about how people are starting to plan their vacations around when their plants need to be harvested. She said she was going to open up a paypal account and start getting paid to do others farm management while they are gone and are of need of assistance. I just laughed, but thought I should do that. I'm broke and I'm looking for more work. Someone has to be in a situation where I can capitalize on it. Don't you think?
Anyway, I am not judging those who plays these games...life should be enjoyed so if you find joy and achievement by playing them then continue to do so. Just remember I will be there to plow your fields for a small fee. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I laugh at people who play these games, only because well you know it is funny I mean come on?! When did we become such a virtual reality? On a side-note, you know the game bejeweled? They actually had a study conducted that showed that to be a treatment of PTSD in service members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. Perhaps these games on FB are the same? Who knows, I think, well I know there are alternative options that promote endorphins etc. Just think society has moved away from endorsing those.

    Several of my friends like to do put up challenges to turn devices off for a week such as the TV, computer, cell phone, etc. and to pick up a book , get outside, actually converse in person. It is rather refreshing to get away from all the noise and business. Just some random thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete