Friday, June 25, 2010

Coveting

Back in THE day, God revealed to Moses the Ten Commandments to guide His people. I believe they are still valid today and we need to still obey them. One of them states the following:
"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s."

In an online dictionary I quickly found this...
cov·et  (kvt)
v. cov·et·ed, cov·et·ing, cov·ets
v.tr.
1. To feel blameworthy desire for (that which is another's). 
2. To wish for longingly. 
v.intr.
To feel immoderate desire for that which is another's.
I think I'm a coveter (if that is a word) and I don't know how to stop. 

3 comments:

  1. I think we all are, to some degree!! The grass is always greener, right?!!! I love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a coveter! maybe we need to start a coveting anonymous or something. I am especially bad when I get to spend a day out on the lake. Im sitting in my row boat with a motor and, a yacht passes me.... I just wanna kick em off their boat and steal it. SERIOUSLY though. It's one thing to think about it and another to act upon it. Now I just gotta work on the thinking part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the new testament the Apostle Paul talks about contentment. He says that he has LEARNED to be content. I think it's easy, almost natural to be covetous when we aren't content. So maybe, the focus should not be on no longer coveting, but LEARNING to be content. Just some food for thought...

    ReplyDelete