Thursday, May 20, 2010

Some people are Imbeciles...I just love that word.

I work for a lady who has MS.  I like to call myself her personal assistant even though I'm really kinda sorta a care giver.  I do some cleaning, cooking, errand running, and taking her out on the town.  She is wheelchair bound with no ability to use her legs.  When I take her out on the town to run her errands I have to assist her in getting in the van and then be her chauffeur.  A handicap parking spot is key in being able to get her in and out of the van.  The door needs to be open wide enough to wedge the chair in so she can transfer herself to and from the vehicle. 
While driving her around it frustrates me when we can't find a handicap parking spot.  It's happened before and I'm sure it will continue to happen.  What really peeves me is when someone who isn't disabled borrows or somehow has a car with a handicap parking pass on it and then parks in a spot that is designated for those with disabilities for the convenience of close parking.  I have parked in a handicap spot, not for a disability, but for lack of strength and pain it caused me to walk around campus after I had a serious surgery.  My pass was given to me by a campus doctor and was temporary.  Although it enabled me to park in a handicap spot I usually parked in the metered spots next to them with no cost to me since those were covered by the pass too.  That was the only time in my life where I felt I could or needed to park in such a spot.  I would never think about doing it otherwise.  I am grateful for the legs I have and to be able to walk a distance into a store or wherever it may be. 
Running our errands yesterday I got excited for such a perfect parking spot and it was open. We were waiting for one car to pass before I was able to go across and park in that spot.  That one car happened to be full of idiots who basically did a u-turn to park the correct way in that spot.  I thought what jerks not even knowing if they needed that spot, but it was like when someone takes your spot when they see your blinker on saying you saw it and it's yours.  We found another spot and was a good one as well, but while I was taking her chair out of the back I noticed two ladies with way too long of hair get out of the suburban type vehicle and speed walk in like they needed to do their errands fast.  There was no visible reason they needed a handicap parking spot.  It totally made me mad.
I shouldn't judge.  I don't know their situation.  For all I know when I was back on campus after a liver resection people probably thought I didn't need to park in those spots either.  I could walk just fine.  I was just weaker and was trying to prevent more pain.
Still...if you don't need to then DON'T park in spots designated for another use!

5 comments:

  1. I hear ya! That makes my blood boil too! What a fulfilling job you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put Rachel! When healthy people park in a Handicap spot so they can run into the store for just a minute, well I wish I was disabled for "just a minute"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur. Before we bought our home last year, Jake and I lived with my Grandma. She is aging and it is extremely hard for her to get around. In December she was recovering from a broken back and had not finished her Christmas shopping. (Christmas is the one time of year she treasures.) Several times I took her out shopping. Did I mention I was 5 months pregnant at the time. And because of all the imbeciles who took all our parking spaces, I had to help her cross several icy parking lots. Sorry I'm rambling. But, I totally know what you mean. I hate HATE when people use them and don't need time. I try hard not to judge unfairly, but one of my worst pet peeves is when young teens all jump out of a car parked in a handicap stall. GRRRR it is making me mad just thinking about it.
    Sorry crazy ranting.
    You are so adorable! I'm sure you are such a wonderful assistant to that lucky women! Thanks for the post, I love when I know people feel the same way I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jake said...more like Richelle said. Ha ha you read my blog. I love it. I'll have to add you to my list so I'm a public stalker. I forget people who are not on my list. I don't work for her right now. I have another job that is full time for the time so I couldn't stay working for her. I did appreciate her though.
    I am sure your grandma was grateful for your help. Those jerks!

    ReplyDelete